Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Office



I had an early morning. I woke up around 2:00am after forgetting to take my medication. Facing the insomnia that has accompanied my depression, I set to work. I gathered what strength I had and sat down at the desk and composed emails. I logged on to Facebook and connected with kids back home.

Erik joined me around 4:00am, still in the battle against jet lag. After sharing some coffee, we jumped into the day. We began by contacting kids that still need to turn in their health forms for Woodleaf and Summer Blast. We spent time talking with kids about how they can raise the rest of the money they owe for camp. It was good to hear from our young friends and to hear that they are doing well.

Then we started planning the lessons for Summer Blast. We will be working through the book of 1 John. In his letter, John focuses on Jesus's command to love each other, and that in doing so we love God. We're beginning to look forward to this time of discipleship.

Around eleven Anji showed up at the office and sat down to start making phone calls, registering kids for camp. Soon after, Magnai came in, and sat down with Erik to look at sound systems. Gerlee came next and worked with Anji on registration. Soon Taivan came in and we sat down for a bible study in Psalm 90.

We looked at the power of God, at our ephemeral existence on this planet, and at the work that has been set before us. With that, we set about our tasks in a flurry of productivity. All gathered around a single desk in the middle of the room, Erik and Magnai picked out the sound system that they need, Anji and Gerlee finished registration, Taivan helped with registration and later practiced his club talks with Erik, and I listened to a recording of 1 John and took notes for camp back home and then practiced guitar with Magnai.

Needless to say, it was a busy afternoon around the office. But it was very productive. I feel we have become more a part of what is happening this summer in Mongolia. We are equipping and encouraging. But we are also building relationships over the adventure of Korean food and foreign cinematic experience.

After a movie with the team, Erik and I are back at the office for the evening. It's been a long day, but well worth it. I can say I've faded in and out. But little moments bring me back, whether it's sharing music with a new brother, or laughing at the Mongolian summer blizzard of cottonwood dust floating through the air, through the car, into Anji's nose, or sitting around a table, eating as a family. It makes it all worth it.

Tonight, this doesn't feel like an office. It feels like a home.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog, Travis! I have been praying for you and Erik. I think you are doing exactly as GOd wants you to do and I think you are a pretty incredible guy!!! Many Hugs and Much love! :)

    ReplyDelete